- Category: About Us
After 1925 when the church premises were completed, the church then turned its attention to evangelistic work in the Pasir Panjang area and constituted the Pasir Panjang Tamil Methodist Church from a preaching point in 1927. The first Methodist Church was also constituted in Johor under the pastoral care of Rev Pakianathan, TMC’s pastor at that time. It was during this time when evangelism amongst the Tamil Christians in Seletar Naval Base began. Preaching points in Seletar and Sembawang were then constituted as churches in 1935 and 1937 respectively.
Rev T R Doraisamy, who ministered between 1951 and 1954, was instrumental in ministering to the Hindustani congregation which in 1953 matured into the Punjabi Church. He went on to become the first Tamil Bishop of the Methodist Church in Singapore and Malaysia.
Rev Prabhu Das Roberts became pastor in 1969 for the next 27 years and it was during this time when the church sent out a number of missionsaries in various mission fields.
In the 70s and 80s, members offered their houses as places of worship and house churches were started in Jurong, Ang Mo Kio, Marsling, and Toa Payoh. These house churches were eventually constituted as churches in 1977 , 1980, and 1982 respectively.
Rev R Prabhu, who pastored TMC between 2002 and 2003 pioneered the Telugu Fellowship . What started out as 4 members grew into a formally constituted church in 2008 with hundreds of regular attendees at Sunday evening services.